Author(s): Chris Bell
Illustrators: Samer Hatam
Sound Focus: ‘or’
Alignment with Ready to Read Phonics Plus
Emergent Level 8
You can use the following notes to teach students word-level reading/decoding strategies. More in-depth notes can be downloaded below.
Total Word Count: (includes Title) 166
106 different words. 61 are high-frequency words, 92 are decodable, 2 are non-decodable vocabulary words.
Decodability Criteria: Words in this book are either high-frequency words or are decodable according to the following criteria:
• One letter = one sound (e.g. bin)
• Doubled letters = one sound (e.g. wagged)
• Word endings er, y, ed, ing (e.g. never, very, loved, shaking)
• long vowel spellings at the start, in the middle and at the end of words
• the short ‘oo’ sound (e.g. could), the short ‘o’ written with an a (e.g. was)
• the ‘sh’, ‘ch’, ‘th’, ‘ng’ sounds (e.g. shaking, porch, thunder, then, bang)
• the ‘or’ sound written in different ways (e.g. Rory, awful, more, poured, calling)
Decoding Strategy: As well as revising previously taught strategies, the focus of this book is to recognize the ‘or’ sound in words. Spelling patterns for ‘or’ are coded blue to help students notice them. Students will meet these patterns: or (Rory, storm, porch, corner, morning), ore (explore, more, before, tore, sore), aw (awful, lawns, paws, crawled), a (calling), our (poured). When students meet these blue spelling patterns, remind them that they will sound like ‘or’.
Non-decodable Words: High-frequency words: early, heard, here, loved, minutes, someone, something, there, were, when
Vocabulary words: air, wrong
Verbs: heard, calling, loved, explore, play, sniffed, grew, blew, sway, poured, rang, hit, fled, tore, ran, limped, crawled, hid, looking, raced, meet, wagged, stay
Nouns: air, storm, sky, stars, wind, trees, rain, thunder, bin, porch, road, yelp,
fright, lawns, night, paws, corner, park, dark, family, morning, tail, bark
Download Teacher Notes Reading Running Record