Monty Mouse has found the door of his cage open.What will he find if he goes outside?
Author(s): Pauline Cartwright
Illustrators: Samer Hatam
Sound Focus: ‘ow’
Alignment with Ready to Read Phonics Plus
Emergent Level 8
You can use the following notes to teach students word-level reading /decoding strategies. More in-depth notes can be downloaded below.
Word-Level Reading Strategies
Total Word Count: (includes Title) 166
89 different words. 61 are high-frequency words, 79 are decodable and 1 is a nondecodable vocabulary words.
Decodability Criteria: Words in this book are either high-frequency words or are decodable according to the
• one letter = one sound (e.g. left)
• word endings – ed, ing, er, le, y (e.g. peeped, shivering, better, little, cosy)
• long vowel spellings at the start, in the middle and at the end of words (e.g. night, home, cage, moon, see)
• short ‘o’ written with an a after a ‘w’ sound (e.g. was)
• spelling pattern – sound relationships for ‘sh’ (sh), ‘th’ (th), ‘ch’ (ch, tch), ‘ng’ (ng), ‘qu’ (qu)
• ‘ow’ sound written ou and ow
Decoding Strategy: As well as revising previously taught strategies, the focus of this book is to learn how to pronounce the ou and ow patterns as ‘ow’. When these patterns represent the ‘ow’ sound, they are coded blue in the text to help students notice them. Both these spelling patterns can represent other sounds. When you come to words
with these patterns in blue in this book, remind students that they sound like ‘ow’ in these words.
Non-decodable Words: High-frequency words: eyes, heard, one, some, thought, two, what’s, who
Vocabulary word: mouse
Important Vocabulary in Text:
Verbs: lived, found, shivering, scampered, squeaked, looked, slid, danced, heard, hid, peeped, like, raced, thought
Nouns: cage, door, table, leg, gap, moon, cloud, flowers, eyes, owl, hole, ground
Download Teacher Notes